The RequirementsTo meet the basic qualification for the Business Development Manager opportunity, you must have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship. In addition, to be a good fit for the role, you will have:
- A high school diploma required; associate's or bachelor's degree preferred
- A minimum of two years of experience in outside solutions or service sales experience in a Business-to-Business (B2B) market or environment; the ideal candidate will have a success selling security or other technology-based solutions
- A proven and measurable track record of sales accomplishments or high potential for success in sales that can be measured
- Familiarity with the local Indianapolis and/or Kentucky markets
- Prior work experience in proposal development, presentations, sales or marketing
- Strong computer skills including MS Office Suite applications, specifically Word, Excel and PowerPoint; CRM experience, ideally Salesforce
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal and written communication skills; active listening skills
- Outstanding organization and prioritization skills; attention to detail
- Self-motivation, initiative and tenacity; the drive to win and excel
- Strong critical thinking skills; the ability to effectively assess and evaluate situations and identify critical issues quickly and accurately
- Learning agility and initiative to study and learn your territory and key markets; strength in particular verticals is an advantage (e.g. commercial real estate, healthcare, government, etc.)
Pictured: G4S Intelligence Programs identify, analyze and report organizational threats and provide situational awareness services from our Global Risk Intelligence Center (GRIC).
The RoleOpportunity Snapshot
Reporting to the Regional Vice President of Sales, as Business Development Manager, you will be responsible for building a book of business through lead generation and development and winning bid requests in your territory. Your time will be balanced between networking, hunting, relationship development and bid management responsibilities.
You'll be based in Indianapolis, with responsibility for business development in the states of Indiana and Kentucky.
Initially, you will spend time in the field office learning about the company and the local operation before prospecting within your assigned territory. You'll do research, network, leverage social media -- do whatever it takes to generate solid leads and build your pipeline. You'll also receive some leads from G4S, but leads are rarely warm, so you will begin the work of building relationships, generating trust, landing meetings and selling our comprehensive products and services from the ground up. You won't be alone in your efforts, however. You can leverage our technical and other internal experts to help close business as needed.
Typically, clients are on a 3-5 year contract, so timing will be critical. Once you've earned the business, either through bid or traditional means, you will continue to maintain that client to ensure they are happy and ready to roll over to a new contract once the initial contract expires.
More specifically, you will:
- Analyze the requirements of formal Requests for Proposal (RFP), Requests for Information (RFI), etc. to develop a win strategy to articulate in your proposal
- Coordinate with field offices and Headquarters as needed
- Meet required deadlines
- Make initial and follow up calls to prospective customers for purpose of scheduling sales appointments
- Create marketing letters and other materials for prospective customers
- Attend self-generated sales appointments, educating potential customers on G4S's services
- Maintain database of prospective customers recording contact history and future activities (Salesforce)
- Plan and prepare PowerPoint presentations for sales calls
- Generate reports and other documentation as required
G4S specializes in assessing risk and implementing policies and procedures that safeguard assets, employees, customers and information.
More Good ReasonsAutonomy & support
Assuming you are meeting your goals, you will enjoy a good deal of autonomy in managing your responsibilities. At the same time, you'll be part of an outstanding team and will have plenty of support when you need it.
Because you can work across verticals and offer a plethora of solutions, no two weeks will be exactly the same. You'll work with a variety of clients and products and services and have ample opportunities to learn and highlight your talent. One day you might be working on a government bid, and the next presenting to a Fortune 500 company, power plant, airport, university, etc.
You can feel proud knowing that your efforts will result in safe and secure environments where people can successfully work and thrive.
While you could be happy and successful in this role for years to come, if you choose, and once you prove yourself, you can pursue opportunities in multiple North America G4S divisions and at locations around the world. You bring the drive and ambition, along with a strong runway, and opportunities will become available. With more than 50,000+ employees in the United States and Canada, and 600,000+ around the world, advancement can take you from New York to Hong Kong and everywhere in between.
Pictured: G4S’ experience-based security officer programs give clients the flexibility to select the right type of officer for their specific security and customer-service requirements.
Keys to SuccessWhile you'll need the breadth of your technical skills, this is ultimately a sales role. Your ability to build productive relationships and earn the trust of your prospects and clients will be paramount and lead to measured success. Ultimately, this is sales and your success will be reflected in goal attainment and delivered business.
In addition, to be an outstanding BDM, you will:
- Create, develop and execute a strategic sales plan, including goals, roadblocks, and strategies for overcoming those roadblocks.
- Maintain an upbeat attitude and commitment to learning and growing professionally.
- Be driven and passionate about meeting goals.
- Maintain continuous contact with clients and prospects, nurturing them through extended sales cycles.
- Take responsibility for your own success by accepting challenges, pursuing goals and learning from failures.
- Promote positive relationships internally and externally.